Sunday, September 02, 2007
Thunderstorms and Life
Before I start I want to make sure everyone knows that I realize I am not the most eloquent writer around. In fact, I am really just a rambling homeschooling mom. So, I am not going to pretend that this is some great grand piece of writing...it is, once again, JUST my rambling...so don't think I am trying to be something that I am not, LOL!

It seems that we have not had a single day in the past week without a thunderstorm. Each time a storm comes I am in awe of the power of them. They are so very intimidating. The deep thunder can literally shake our house. The rain comes down in buckets and floods the backyard. The storms cause the satellite TV to go out and even the electricity at times. The wind blows and howls and shows the power of the storm. There is nothing you did to cause the storm and nothing you can do to stop it. Sometimes we just sit at home and wait through the storm. Other times we go about our daily business like there is no storm. Other times we have to change our plans because of the storm.

But then, there is one element of the storm that we have yet to mention...the lightening. You see the storm brings the dark clouds, the heavy rains, the rolling thunder...it is dark. However, when the lightening comes it actually lights the entire sky. Take away the danger of it striking and it is absolutely beautiful. Tonight, as we drove home from New Orleans, I found myself in awe as I watched a thunderstorm out in the distance. The lightening was amazing. It was beautiful. It was a side of the thunderstorm I never really take the time to watch and pay attention to...the beauty of it.

Then I got to thinking about the storms in our lives. It seems that for quite a while now one storm after another has come into my life. This life storms have come in ever size, shape and form recently. I honestly feel like I barely have time to catch my breath from the previous storm before a new one rolls in. Sometimes I can just sit back and wait them out. Other times I do my best to go on with every day life pretending they aren't even there. Many times I have to change a little (or even a lot) to survive them. Sometimes I have to change my attitude...other times I have to change my plans...and so on. Unfortunately, I forget to find the lightening in my storm. I am SO afraid of getting struck down that I forget the beauty in the storm. I forget that God has allowed this trail for some reason and will use it for good. If I slow down, step back and take a look, I can often find the beauty that is in the storm. There is always a beautiful bolt of lightening just waiting for me to spot it.

When the storm is over, you can often see a lot of damage that has been done. The storm will strip away layers but underneath all of that you will see signs of growth. Do I allow myself to grow and learn from my storms or do I choose to stay buried under the rubble? I may not have a choice about going through many of these storms but I do have a choice as to how I handle them. I have a choice about my reactions after storm is over. I may not see it at the time, but each storm has a purpose. Each storm is growing me and making me the person God has called me to be. I just hope I remember this throughout the next storm. I pray that I don't find myself hiding under the kitchen table or being washed away in the flood waters. I pray that I hold fast to my rock and keep looking for the lightening during the storm and the growth after the storm.

  posted at 10:01 PM
  Comments (0)


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home



About Me

Name:
Michelle


I am a working wife and mom who also homeschools. I am blessed beyond measure with a loving husband and two awesome little girls. I am a child of God and live to serve Him. I will be sharing about the adventures He takes me and my precious little family on! :-)

My Complete Profile


Daily Bible Verse

Links
  • Clark's Blog!
  • Peanut's Space
  • Clark's Space
  • Team Jeju BLUE's Home Page
  • My Family Home Page

  • Blogrolls



    Recent Posts

    Search


    Archives

    Miscellaneous

    Credits
    Blog Design by:


    Powered by:


    Site Meter:


    Site Meter