Friday, September 08, 2006
An Unschooling Kind of Day
I am a classroom teacher and making the move to homeschool wasn't much different. I have always been very structured when it came to the school days. It is just what I am used to and comfortable with. However, this week has been one of recovering from mastitis and not doing much at all. I was feeling MUCH better this morning, but still not crazy about doing a structured day of school. SO, we had our most fun day of school yet and I don't even think my little second grader realized she was learning!

We started out by making blueberry muffins and banana nut muffins. We measured, mixed, heated the oven and got GREAT math skills in...not to mention a wonderful surprise for Daddy when he came out to grab a bite before he had to head to the University to teach! We all enjoyed a yummy breakfast of muffins and fruit together! What a fun start to the day!



  

  

  

  




  

  

  

  





Next we read books for fun. My girl read 5 chapters of Pony Pals in one sitting! She was a reading fool! We also read all kinds of other fun books! Who knew phonics and reading could be so much fun!

Then, I gave her some free time. She went into her playroom and created a circus out of her toys! To top it all off, she hand wrote invitations to me and her Daddy...does anyone else see her writing lesson for the day? And I didn't even have to assign it! LOL! It was SO creative and I couldn't have been more proud!!

Lunch time was upon us and I realized that I haven't gone shopping this week and we were out of EVERYTHING! Then I realized that when Clark left, he took all the money to go pay bills! YIKES! SO, we hit the fish bowl...where the spare change goes...and counted out 24,000 won (almost $25) in change! Talk about a math lesson on it's own! I was able to order a pizza that filled our tummies and tasted GREAT!

Next I took out a project that I have had waiting on the shelves for a LONG time (over 6 months). I pulled out some oil paints and white horses and let her paint her own horse! She did an amazing job! She took her time, paid attention to every little detail and made a BEAUTIFUL horse! She couldn't wait for Daddy to get home and see them. We even left the paint on the table so that when Daddy got home they could do one more together (they are our artist in residence)! Just see for yourself how good she did:



  

  

  

  




  


We all needed a break to our craziness today, so I allowed the girls some TV time. They watched Clifford on the Disney Channel and then the baby lost interest. My oldest girl put in Swan Lake and me and the baby had some computer time (she played in my lap with anything she could reach on the desk and I caught up on my blog reading).

After movie time, we had one last adventure before Daddy came home. I pulled out the sticker maker and we made underwater stickers and talked about different animals that live under water. We also created the coolest little underwater collage on the girls bedroom wall! LOL! Daddy came home as we were cleaning up our fishy mess.



  

  


It taught me that we can learn a lot and never sit down in the school room or open a book. The teacher in me learned a BIG lesson. I know we will be back to the structure I am comfortable with on Monday morning, but I am going to plan some more of these UNschooling days into our schedule for sure!! They are just TOO much fun!

  posted at 6:02 AM
  Comments (1)


1 Comments:
At 11:33 AM, Blogger Mishel said...

These are the *best* kind of days, IMO...when learning just *happens*. I love structure too, but these type of days are good for me to sorta let loose. : ) I loved the pics!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



About Me

Name:
Michelle


I am a working wife and mom who also homeschools. I am blessed beyond measure with a loving husband and two awesome little girls. I am a child of God and live to serve Him. I will be sharing about the adventures He takes me and my precious little family on! :-)

My Complete Profile


Daily Bible Verse

Links
  • Clark's Blog!
  • Peanut's Space
  • Clark's Space
  • Team Jeju BLUE's Home Page
  • My Family Home Page

  • Blogrolls



    Recent Posts

    Search


    Archives

    Miscellaneous

    Credits
    Blog Design by:


    Powered by:


    Site Meter:


    Site Meter