Monday, June 11, 2007
And They Will Know...
...we are Christians by our LOVE!

I was reminded of this phrase today as I dropped Melisa off at VBS! I am SO excited that she is getting to spend the week learning about the Lord and playing with other kids. She is SO excited and couldn't wait to wake up this morning and put on her new VBS t-shirt. :-)

However, I must say I was VERY dissappointed when I dropped her off. I didn't have time to do my hair before I took Misa. So, it was wet and I had a bandana put over in...I am sure I was really attractive...it is my workout look. Anyway, as I dropped her off, I noticed her name was spelled wrong on her name tag. I politely let them know that she would probably not say anything but it was spelled wrong and I wondered if they could change it. Well, the older lady at the table with a huff in her voice and quite the attitude towards us changed it. I then proceeded to say that I had one more thing I wanted to talk to her about. You could tell she was annoyed, but I was a parent and she had to take the time. I told her that Melisa liked to talk about where we have just come from and what we have been doing. I knew we were knew at the church and hadn't shared "our story" with anyone yet but I didn't want anyone to think she was telling a "story". The whole time I was telling her this you could tell this was NOT what she wanted to be doing. I went on to say that Melisa might tell people that we have spent the last 4 years living in Korea and working as missionaries and it was true. The "m" word came out of my mouth and INSTANTLY her attitude changed towards me! She was more than willing to help me with anything I wanted and all.

Now, I didn't tell her this because I wanted special treatment. Melisa told her gym teacher that we had been in Korea for 4 years and the teacher came to me about the truth of it. I didn't want her teachers thinking she was lying. BUT, what REALLY bothers me is that it is ok to give someone new that doesn't have the "church" look about them an attitude, but we must treat the "missionary" with kindness. How is the "new" person who may not know Christ going to see His love if this is how we function.

Don't get me wrong, we REALLY love the church we have been visiting and besides this instance we have been met with wonderful people and attitudes. It just made me sad that in the stress of registration for VBS they were forgetting that they were working with people who may not know God! I am no different than someone of death row for murder except that I have accepted God's grace. I am no worse or better than anyone else...we are all sinners and in need of God's grace. For those of us who have accepted God's salvation and are covered in His grace, we need to remember that we are walking examples of Him (and I am not being Holier than thou here...I am talking to myself too). Who knows when we are going to meet someone who needs that love! Someone who is ready to accept God and turn from their sin if the message comes to them. Are we going to let stress and frusttration from the craziness of life keep us from sharing God with a lost world?

Sorry about that little rant. It has just been hard for me being back in the States and visiting churches. If the church knows we are "former missionaries" we get the red carpet treatment. If they do not know that we are "former missioanries" it is hard to get someone to shake our hand and invite us back. It seems like it should be just the opposite. Those who do not know Christ need to be welcomed and invited back so they can hear the Word!

OOPS, I got started again...sorry!

I will let you know how VBS goes for Melisa. Thanks for everyone praying for our guidance and direction right now. I still can't put any details out here but we still need prayers, especially today while we have some meetings. We are feeling the peace that passes all understanding and know that is because of your prayers!

  posted at 9:08 AM
  Comments (1)


1 Comments:
At 6:27 PM, Blogger Sista Cala said...

Sounds like your local church could use some missionary efforts. lol. I have noticed too, how folks change their whole demeanor when they find out that I am a minister. That's when I fight behaving as a minister 'ought'to. I just want to set them out, if you know what I mean.

I am fairly new to your blog, looking forward to reading more. By the way I have tagged you for the 8 random things tag. See my site for details. Thanks.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



About Me

Name:
Michelle


I am a working wife and mom who also homeschools. I am blessed beyond measure with a loving husband and two awesome little girls. I am a child of God and live to serve Him. I will be sharing about the adventures He takes me and my precious little family on! :-)

My Complete Profile


Daily Bible Verse

Links
  • Clark's Blog!
  • Peanut's Space
  • Clark's Space
  • Team Jeju BLUE's Home Page
  • My Family Home Page

  • Blogrolls



    Recent Posts

    Search


    Archives

    Miscellaneous

    Credits
    Blog Design by:


    Powered by:


    Site Meter:


    Site Meter